SEVERE WEATHER POLICY
The final decision to cancel Ukrainian School classes, or to take other appropriate action in response to severe weather conditions, shall rest with the Director of Ukrainian School. Severe weather includes events such as ice storms, major accumulations of snow, hurricanes, etc.
In the case of severe weather, the Director of Ukrainian School may cancel classes when weather conditions are such that most parents and students would be prevented from getting to school safely.
When severe weather is predicted, the Director of Ukrainian School will initiate the procedures and monitor weather reports and forecasts. The Director may contact city, county, and state agencies for input on weather and road conditions, monitor television reports and websites. The Director will review the present weather conditions, the forecasted weather conditions, traffic accessibility near school, traffic on outlying roads, and outside temperatures. Based on information received, the Director will convey the weather information and a recommended course of action to the Teachers and President of the Batkivsky Komitet (Parents’ Committee).
If the school district where classes are held cancels community events for that day due to severe weather conditions, then the Ukrainian School will be obliged to cancel classes. Parents can monitor closings on the following website http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/
It is anticipated that the decision to cancel classes will be made no later than 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, prior to the beginning of the school day, or in very severe cases, on the Friday evening before school.
Once a course of action has been determined, the following people shall be informed of the decision:
- The Director of Ukrainian School will contact all Teachers (including Svitlychka) and the President of the Batkivsky Komitet (Parents’ Committee) about the decision to cancel school.
- It is the responsibility of all teachers to inform the parents of their students by phone and e-mail about the decision to cancel classes.
- The President of the Batkivsky Komitet will send an e-mail message to all parents and students on the Ukrainian School e-mail distribution list, as soon as a decision is made.
- The decision will be posted on the Ukrainian School website as soon as possible (on the Home Page)
- Teachers hearing these advisory messages should pass on the information to others who may not have heard the message.